Whether you have a lengthy upcoming procedure or just need to take the edge off your dental anxiety, Dr. Rod Gleave, DMD, has the right sedation dentistry option for you. Read on to learn more about the many benefits of sedation dentistry in Salt Lake City, UT.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Patients who are anxious about their upcoming dental procedure can benefit from the calming effects of sedation dentistry. Unlike general anesthesia, sedation dentistry allows patients to remain in a sleep-like state where they can still respond to Dr. Gleave. Sedation dentistry is often used in conjunction with local anesthesia, which numbs the treatment site. By combining local anesthesia and sedation, Dr. Gleave can ensure that your dental treatment is comfortable and stress-free.
Patients who undergo sedation dentistry at our Salt Lake City dental practice can benefit from:
- Lower symptoms of dental phobia: Dental phobia often results from traumatic past dental experiences, low threshold for pain, fear of medical procedures, and other causes. Around 15 percent of adults in the United States experience dental phobia, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Sedation dentistry uses special gases and drugs to induce feelings of well-being and comfort for patients who would otherwise experience fear, stress, and anxiety. If you exhibit symptoms of dental phobia, please let a member of our dental team know.
- More efficient treatment: When patients are calm and compliant, Dr. Gleave is able to work more efficiently. This can result in a shorter overall treatment. Patients who have difficulty sitting still are often good candidates for sedation dentistry.
- Shorter perception of time: Many of our Salt Lake City patients report that their lengthy treatment seems to fly by under the effects of sedation dentistry. The drugs used during sedation dentistry have an effect on the brain’s ability to perceive time. This temporal alteration can benefit patients who have multiple or lengthy treatments planned.
- A pleasant dental experience: There is no reason why undergoing treatments have to be unpleasant. Local anesthesia can block the perception of pain, but underlying anxiety can still be an issue for many patients. Sedation dentistry allows our patients to experience feelings of relaxation, comfort, peacefulness, and even bliss throughout their procedure.
What Are My Sedation Options?
Depending on your pain tolerance, treatment duration, and type of treatment, you may benefit from light, moderate, or heavy sedation. Dr. Gleave will establish your candidacy for the appropriate sedation option.
- Inhaled sedation: Nitrous oxide provides major sedative benefits with no hassles. The gas wears off quickly so you can go about your day. It’s even safe enough for children to use.
- Oral sedation: Our office has provided oral sedation for 20 years. You will be prescribed a pill that will be taken around one hour before your treatment begins. You will remain on the brink of sleep throughout your treatment, and you’ll need a friend or family member to drive you home.
- IV sedation: This high level of sedation is administered through an IV. The sedation option allows patients to snooze throughout your procedure while remaining conscious. Dr. Gleave will closely monitor you.
Schedule Your Sedation Dentistry Consultation Today
Many of our patients experience occasional anxiety about dental procedures. Even if you do not, lengthy procedures can be made more pleasant under the safe and effective effects of sedation dentistry. To schedule your next visit to our Salt Lake City dental practice, please contact our friendly staff online or call (801) 923-6406.